Understanding Shaving Irritation
You may be shaving everyday out of habit. However, this daily obligation you have can suddenly transform into hairs of discomfort and frustration.
For example, the common skin issue of razor burns after shaving. You can experience clusters of bumps and inflamed, red skin all over your most prized possession. Your face. Which is most definitely not pleasant.
Usually, it's caused by things like shaving against the director of hair growth, shaving too quickly, or using a dull razor. Despite whatever might be the cause in your case, preventing shaving irritation is essential for a healthy and clean face.
Before you even think about dragging a razor across your skin, you have to prep your face for it. This first step of beard care routines sets the canvas for a smoother, less irritating shave.
- Soften Facial Hair and Open Pores: Start by softening your facial hair and opening your pores. The best way is to shave immediately after a shower when the warm steam has helped your skin free from dead skin cells and excess oil.
- Clean Razor and Proper Hygiene: Your razor should be clean and sanitized before every use. It's the easiest hack to prevent those pesky burns and bumps. It's also essential to maintain good hygiene and wash your face before shaving.
Choosing the Products for your Ideal Beard Care Routines
No ordinary product will do. If you want the best-looking skin, you need to use the best products for your skin.
- Shaving Cream or Gel: Make sure you choose one that suits your skin type, whether that be dry, oily, combination, or normal. The right shaving foam will create that perfect barrier between your skin and the razor blade to prevent irritation.
- Good Quality Razor: A good quality razor with a sharp blade is essential to a comfortable yet precise shave. According to a test by CNN, the Gillette SkinGuard was chosen as the best overall men's razor for its comfortable and easy shave, specialized blades, ergonomic design, and durability. The Bevel Safety Razor was chosen as the safest razor for men, with a close shave with a single double-edge blade, comfortable handle, ease of use, and affordable replacement blades.
- Sharp Blade: Replace your razor blade when it becomes dull to keep it sharp. A dull blade can tug and pull on your skin until it brings out the irritation from you and your skin.
- Using a Shaving Brush: No, it's not necessary. But if you want to ensure your shaving cream is even and your skin is exfoliated, a shaving brush is right up your alley for the smoothest shave.
Now, it's time to perfect your shaving technique.
- The Right Shaving Technique: Shave in the direction of your hair growth. Shaving against the direction can lead to that inflammation and irritation we don't want.
- Step-by-Step Guide: Apply a generous amount of shaving cream to your damp face. With light, short strokes, let the razor do the work. Avoid those repetitive strokes that can decrease lubrication and lead to, again, that stubborn irritation.
Your shaving everyday doesn't end when you put down the razor. The hunt to prevent irritation and dry skin after shaving continues through after-shave care.
Quenching your skin's thirst by maintaining beard hydration with moisturizing after-shave gel, after-shave cream, or after-shave balm can extinguish those fiery razor burns. Avoid after-shave moisturizer with fragrances or other add-ons that can irritate your skin further.
Maintaining a Healthy Skin Lifestyle
Maintaining healthy skin involves more than just practicing ways to prevent shaving irritation and dry beard. It's a holistic approach to skincare.
- Regular Exfoliation: Incorporating regular exfoliation that scrubs until it has extracted all of the gunk out of your skin can keep your skin healthy and irritation-free.
- Skin Care Routines: Any results in life tasks come from consistency. A consistent routine that includes washing and moisturizing your face contributes to smiley, smooth skin and leaves behind angry bumps and burns. An example of a crisp, clear shaving routine can include washing your face with Insanely Clean's Day N Nite Face Wash and easily spraying on the pairing mist to instantly moisturize or even replenish your face at work or in class during those long, grueling days.
Call to Action
It's time to stop reading and put this guide to use when you're shaving everyday. Check out Insanely Clean for quality shaving products designed for young men to create their own beard care routines. Plus, we've got some fantastic offers and promotions waiting for you. If you have any inquiries or feedback, please don't hesitate to reach out to us.